Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Packing the Bag...

Most people are not big fans of the hospital. I am that freaky 1% that really thoroughly enjoys them. I like my hospitals like most people want their spa visit- attentive staff, good food, and valet, of course! My new chi-chi hospital totally fits the bill! It’s well landscaped and the parking is easy peasy, I don’t even NEED valet! The gift shop has some adorable things, and the cafeteria, excuse me, cafe, is quite good. They even have mint chocolate whoopie pies! I mean really, those are hard to find! The waiting rooms are scented lightly with some blend of rosemary & lavender, and they have acupuncturists and aromatherapists on staff for pain management. Bring it! That said, I have not planned very well for my impending hospital “retreat”. I finally decided to pack a bag last night. Since we were recently nomads seeking refuge from the cold and dark, my bags are already out of the closet. I dumped out a variety of mismatched socks and stared into the abyss. Empty. Now what?

THINGS ONE NEEDS IN THE HOSPITAL
1. Chapstick, numerous tubes. Preferably Burt’s Bees original. Stick form, no tin. Less contamination.
2. Fancy shower products because even the nicest hospital isn’t providing bumble & bumble. If they did, we would all try to be in the hospital more, leaving no room for people who are actually sickly.
3. Makeup, the full arsenal. Everything- foundation, eyeliner (stick AND powder- if you’re having a baby you are going to get photographed, A LOT- may as well have some doe eyes!), and a really good blush. Nars Orgasm preferably. Terrible name, but the most universally flattering blush of ALL TIME.
4. Blow drier. Many hospitals do provide blow dryers, but they are the low wattage hotel variety. Unless you are staying at the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons, those blow dryers bite (if you are staying in one of those fancy pants places, leave EVERYTHING at home- all products, blowdriers, robes, etc. will be better than what you already own)! If you need a round brush or paddle brush to achieve the desired affect for your hair, don’t forget it!
5. Menus for local restaurants. As good as some hospital food is (there is one hospital in particular right off the Pike that has FABULOUS catering) it can get boring. If you can, choose a hospital in close proximity to gourmet markets or a Wegman’s as well, for those smaller noshing moments. It is no accident that my hospital is within five miles of Idylwilde Farms, Main Street Cafe, Serafina,  Sweet Bites, and the Colonial Inn, home of the world renowned Indian Pudding. Got an ice cream craving? Hello, Bedford Farms! Not that I picked a hospital JUST for that (the literary panache was a big part of it too! Oh, and the doctors, I think).
6. Slippers or fuzzy socks with grippies. No matter how nice the hospital, you want your feet fuzzy and warm, even in the summer. There are drafts sometimes. Besides, when else can you strut your stuff in your sleepwear?

I probably won’t use any of it, but at least I won’t have forgotten anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment