Friday, November 25, 2011

All things retail...

I had no intention of "doing" Black Friday this year. I have a two year old and a two week old- shopping like a ninja is pretty low of my priority list. Until I got the ads in the Globe Thanksgiving morning. My husband has always loved the ads and I like Target usually, but am not overly into them. Well, I didn't used to be. The ones we got yesterday were like Pandora's box- once I started looking I couldn't stop, and pretty soon I had a game plan. Hubs up at 4:30 am to go to the sporting goods store and get hockey nets and sneakers- because my two year old NEEDS to start practicing. Never mind he can't skate yet- he has had a hockey stick since I was three seconds pregnant with him. Positive pee on a stick? Head to Pure Hockey. That's pretty much how it went. So off he went, returning at six for the passing of the baton- mom's turn! Babes into the car and away we went. I hit the craft store first- keeping a two year old entertained for more than thirteen seconds takes planning, lots and lots of planning. And markers. Totally scored there and got stuff to make busy bags for an upcoming swap too! Then to my favorite parenting place for some great deals on everyone's favorite Calendula lotion, and a Moby wrapping lesson- somehow I had forgotten the most important part, and my little schmoopie baby was sliding right out- we had to master that in preparation for tomorrow's tree finding adventure! Strollers don't really off road at the tree farm...then I tempted fate. I went to the uber-popular big box toy store. Crayons buy one get TWO? Oh hell yeah. Toddlers eat crayons (typically red- the diapers in this house can attest to that!) Magna doodles? Bring it! Temporal thermometer? Filters for the humidifier? I could really score there. That is, until I made the mistake of asking for help finding Aquadoodles. The young man led me around the store for a while, scratching his head. Finally he turned to me and said "Those don't exist." Really buddy? Then where the heck were you taking me? And they DO exist, I already own several! He looked like the proverbial dear in the headlights and quickly scuttled away to the "Wheels" area which was clearly his safe zone. Cursing under my breath, I vowed to find the Aquadoodles and prove him wrong. Find them I did. After fifteen more minutes of dodging runaway carts and pushing through mobs of overtired fathers debating the merits of the three in one trike versus the adaptable two wheeler,  I opened my eyes and actually looked at the aisle headings.

You guessed it. I was standing right next to an aisle with a HUGE sign saying "Aquadoodles". Apparently I can't just blame that kid. Hell, at least I got what I came for (and seventeen other things). The major bonus? I got to have lunch at Wegman's.

No comments:

Post a Comment