Saturday, November 19, 2011

Crispy, not crunchy.

Some of the best things on earth are crunchy, like peanut butter (store brand- otherwise it's chunky, but this post is NOT about my physique), potato chips, toffee, and Cool Ranch Doritos. Notice I didn't say anything like carrots or celery. Apples are crunchy, and sort of yummy, especially if you add some of that crunchy peanut butter! These days parents get labels too- Attachment parenting, Homeschooler, Soccer Moms, there are lots, and they are different around the country. They don't actually mean anything, just sort of allude to their parenting style. It's like when you are shopping for shoes online, you type in what you want, but you still have to choose a subcategory. For example, if I wrote "Team Umizoomi" I would have to choose apparel, toys, DVD, or music. The same thing for mommy friends! You write "mommy friends" and you have to figure out which subcategory you might best get along with. It's not mutually exclusive either- you can have a Soccer Mom posse and then still drink Pinot with another group altogether. Me, I like the crunchy moms. Now, we're not talking hemp and patchouli here- stop thinking Haight/Ashbury! More like organic, locavores who use cloth diapers and non-yicky cleaners.  Me, I love just about anything edible, so local is more like within my reach. I use bio-friendly cleaners purely because they smell WAY better and the bottles are better designed and look cuter and more environmentally friendly on my countertops! As for cloth diapers? I totally admit- I LOVE THEM. Super duper adorable, those babies with super cushioned rumps, ready with enough cushioning for their first experience on roller skates! Reality? Oh hell no. I can barely wash my own clothes. I just left the hospital with and entire bag of disposable mesh undies, just in case. These "crunchy" mamas are my people- they have my back in ANY situation, and don't judge me because I use formula and eschew wool. Women that feed me when I am wading my way through the tenth circle of hell, also referred to as the postpartum period. Women that will say "Do you need me to beat them up?" when someone is mean to me (not that they would- the crunchy mamas are pretty much peace loving people- unless you screw with one of your own!!!) Women that will stay, voluntarily, at my house through the toddler witching hour until I stop crying. Women that tell me that, yes, you can have an emotion, and no, it won't make you a wus. Yeah, these crunchy mamas ARE MY PEOPLE.

Even though I am not above buying a cloth diaper cover and putting it over my Luvs, (which were totally on sale at the bulk superstore- SCORE! {but I am so totally not a hoarder- I just REALLY like a good deal}) and am just barely crispy, these crunchy women make sure I can make it through each day, and for that, I love 'em all.

No comments:

Post a Comment