Saturday, November 26, 2011

The gig is up...

This morning I asked Mr. M to get a binky for my little schmoopie face, who has been a touch cranky today. Mr. M looked at me quizzically, and then stuffed his hand down my shirt to retrieve the binky in my bra. Well shit. He knows. That's where I hide EVERYTHING. I have caught him before trying to tuck small toys in there, but hadn't really thought about it. Admit it, a bra comes in totally handy to keep things in. I would say small things, but really, I can stash quite a bit. I think it goes back to college- we had this tradition where at the first home hockey game of the year, against our arch rivals (Booo Crest!), was called the Orange Bowl. Basically, when your team scored the first goal, you hurled oranges onto the ice at the opposing goalie. It was quite a sight to behold- oranges ricocheting off the boards, and the goalie crawling into the goal to take cover. When I wast there we kept it pretty tame- the dining halls wouldn't serve oranges that week, and the town grocery store would have a run on oranges, but we made it work. It wasn't like it is now- they throw stupid things on the ice. It's not called the Blow Up Doll Bowl! You throw ORANGES. Not a tough concept! The problem was that you were patted down on your way in- oranges weren't allowed! People got pretty creative- there were quite a few frat boys who did their own version of drag purely to stuff their empty bras with oranges. For my group of friends, however, I could guarantee at least a dozen oranges- stash them outside, and every time you came back in, bring some more tucked in the bottom of your bra. I had to be careful not to wear something low cut, because it had the same effect as a wonderbra, which I didn't need! It was also pretty handy for frat parties, especially the ones down in Bundy- you don't want to take a purse, and you can put things in your jacket pocket but the likelihood that you would come home with your own jacket was slim. You tried to keep your stuff on you, and the bra was the place to do it. With party themes like the classic toga, Pimps & Hoes, Jungle Juice, and Club DU, there wasn't a tremendous amount of clothing being worn to keep your room key in. And lip gloss, a couple of bucks for late night ordering from Tony's or Roma's, and some other crap. For me, it was never a problem! I could stash enough makeup to take over for the Extreme Makeover team at a moments notice! Old habits die hard- if I can't find something and I know I had it yesterday, I always check my bra in the laundry bin, and more times than not, it's there!!!

Well, I used to. My toddler has put and end to that fine tradition. I might have to use my purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment