Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Who Needs Sleep?

Barenaked Ladies had it right on so many levels! Really, who needs sleep? I DON'T. Which is good, because I'm not getting it. 8:30 to about midnight is wonderful, but then J will start his coughing screaming patches and then I am done. Up, listening to his ragged breathing on the monitor. Tonight I just sat in his room for about an hour watching him breath like Darth Vader. He sounds terrible but his oxygenation levels continue to be fine. It's just an exercise for him to move air past his tonsils and adenoids. We've started a course of antibiotics that he will likely remain on until his surgery. He keeps losing weight- about a half-pound a week. That's a lot when you only clocked in at 21 pounds to start with! I never thought I would be thinking about high-caloric foods for my 19 month old! He's loving the pouches- sucks it right down- the texture is easier for him to get down his throat. I am noticing that he is avoiding foods that require more chewing. Pasta, applesauce, yogurt- his staples. Mr. J LOVES cheese sticks. "Deese" was one of his first words, but right now it's just too hard for him to swallow. He'll chew it for a few moments, and then let it fall from his mouth. That is what is breaking my heart. I know that he will be fine after he recovers from surgery, and will have a long life of "deese", but right now, I just want him to be happy and healthy. I never thought I would be consumed with mitigating his exposure to fragrances, fumes, allergens. Luckily, I'm a Baer. We're fierce, and protect our cubs every step of the way. 

I wouldn't mind if one of those steps included sleeping through the night though- five a.m. comes all too quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment