Friday, June 21, 2013

Damn Ugly Balls

Catchy title, hunh? Well, that's what I am up at 3 am finishing. Some damn ugly oreo balls. Or mint truffles, however you think of them. My boys are moving up. J has had Miss Katie since he was eight months old (he's 20 ish months now) and Miss Frankie since he was 11 months. M has been with Miss Vanessa and Miss Erynn since he was "2.9". You know, that magical age, right before his third birthday. He's nosing 4 pretty much now, so it's been a while. Today's the day. The last day in Wobblers and Preschool. Toddlers and Pre-K are on the horizon. M is excited, but periodically he will cry that he doesn't want to leave Miss Erynn (with YELLOW HAIR MOMMY!) and Miss Vanessa (BROWN!!! It's BROWN!) to go up to Pre-K. He's holding it together because he knows he can peek in the door to Pre-K 2 and see Miss Karen. J is oblivious. He's happy, and lovely, and congested, and just J like. The real issue is me. I dislike change. It sucks. I like what I know, and I love what I know. Not so interested in change, thankyouverymuch. Forget that it means my babies are growing up, or making progress- to me, it's just in the category of unwanted change. Really, isn't that what life is though? Change that we both seek and that which is thrust upon us? Typically for the better? You have to tear up muscles to rebuild them stronger- sand down wood so the connection with paint is better- strip nails of oils to make polish last longer. That's what I feel like tonight. I made the teachers mint truffles, or oreo balls. Easy recipe, but much loved in the halls of CK. Miss Vanessa is a diehard fan who even consumed a few too many right before her wedding. Well ladies, they are some ugly balls tonight. I was straight up ugly crying when I made them thinking about all the things my boys have learned with their precious teachers. Lumpy, miss-shapen. I had to wake up at an ungodly hour and re-temper chocolate because the first batch was a bust. I think they taste better than any other batch though. Perhaps there is a deeper meaning; it's part of a process- we have to have ugly patches to grow stronger.

Or that we shouldn't try to make truffles three days from the end of school whilst ugly-crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment