Saturday, June 22, 2013

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life...

Never make a pretty woman your wife! That's the song that has been stuck in my head over the past few days. Not clear on why, but it makes me want to watch Mermaids, a movie I haven't thought of in years. "So from my personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you..." No real words of wisdom there. Happiness has been consuming my thoughts this past week- again, not sure why, but I'm pretty sure that it's because many of my students have been struggling. The end of the year is tough for everyone, but for students that have unsupportive home environments, it's particularly hard. For anyone with depression, finding the joy in everyday life is difficult. That has been brutally clear to me, as I see more and more young people struggling to make it through each day. What makes people happy? How do we find happiness? Is it in single instances that make our hearts' sing? In comfortable silences? I don't have those answers, but it does remind me to find the beauty and joy in simple moments. My kid peed on the potty three times today with NO assistance. That's beautiful. My husband took the boys into the bubble pit at the farm, and loved it. That's beautiful too. My deodorant smells like freaking peppermint patties. Extra beautiful.

But how many of those moments do we need to bring us true happiness?

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the search for happiness. I try and tell myself that one day I will be happy. I don't think it is a destination though- or at least I *try* not to let it be one and like you said enjoy the happy moments each day. Depression does make it even more daunting I agree, or on the plus side, those wee moments of happiness are a bit more sweet as they don't come as often...

    ReplyDelete