Friday, December 2, 2011

What a Village!

I think it was Hilary Clinton who coined the phrase "it takes a village" in reference to raising children, and she was right. People have different names for it- groups, posses, entourage, support group- bottom line, it's the people that help you be the best person, and parent (when applicable!) that you can be! I'm not talking about just people who offer you support, but who actually know stuff. Someone that KNOWS how to rethread a serger, someone who will actually give you a cloth diaper cover and say it's OK to pretend to be wicked crunchy, you know, those people! My village is pretty bangin' if I do say so myself. I've got colorists and makeup artists that are amazing, a dentist and midwife whom I adore, lots of teacher type people to bounce lesson plans and vent to about that stupid "No Child Left Behind" crap. I've got mommies who feed my kids when I forget, and mommies that will literally help me raise me kids when I falter. I've got therapists to fix me, and therapists who are friends to help me over-analyze otber peoples' behavior, and whom I can call when I am convinced my toddler has OCD (which he totally doesn't- I overanalyze, a lot)! I've got neighbors with drills, and a pediatrician who will spend forty-five minutes with me discussing behavioral regression in toddlers...I have lots of foodies in my village to provide me with DELICIOUS things- soups, stews, chilis, chicken, chocolates, breads. My village even has a wino or two to help pair those yummy things! There are the old school members who remind me of who I am, and the new, who reflect where I am going. I've noticed the village is lacking a few key people though.

1. A maid. Do I even need to elaborate?
2. A plumber. I still haven't fixed that toilet (see "Shit Happens" post- again, if I knew how to blog for real, I would link it)
3. A landscaper to live in my garage and rush out and catch every leaf spiralling towards the ground.
4. A dishwasher. No, not even- a BOTTLE WASHER. They are like bunnies.
5. A trainer. Eh, scratch that. They'd be really lonely because I would never, ever spend any time with them.
6. A professional swaddler. My shrimp loves being swaddled and I kind of suck at it.
7. A dog whisperer. My dog is crazy. She is better but still nuts.

I've culled some from the village too- we all know that every village has its' idiot. Don't worry, you wouldn't be reading my blog if you were banished!

1 comment: