Monday, December 12, 2011

Domestic ADD

Having two kids has totally squelched my belief that I have ADD. For years, it has taken me months to complete certain household tasks, like cleaning out a closet, or even easier things, like dusting the dresser. Scrubbing a toilet. I start, and then wind up doing totally unrelated things, like re-framing photos or playing Scrabble online. Putting away laundry? Forget it. For almost ten years I lived out of the clean pile. Then I had Bubba. Yeah, things didn't really improve. We got rid of a lot of stuff, we moved to a house that doubled our square feet, but things didn't really get cleaner or more organized. Then I had Shrimp- all of a sudden I'm on maternity leave, am not totally depressed, and am horrified by the disaster that is my house. When Shrimp is sitting happily somewhere, I'm like a woman possessed. Laundry done, AND PUT AWAY. In like four minutes. No staring at dresses and remembering what I did the last time I wore it. On the hanger, in the closet. GO. Undies folded, socks paired. Shirts arranged in Roy G. Biv order. Bottles washed, dishwasher emptied. I even feed the dog regularly now. It's like a new type of OCD. Mommy Compulsive Disorder. My husband accused me of sneaking in five hour energy drinks every four hours, which is not actually a bad idea. I could get behind that.

If this MCD continues, I actually might be able to shower without flip flops.

No comments:

Post a Comment