Monday, December 12, 2011

Smart moms

Smart moms do a lot of things. They always have diapers, wipes, and other such accoutrements available, at all times. Hell, they even have adorable bags that it's all stored in. Portable changing pads, little brightly colored bags for the used diapers, everything. Me, I usually have at least one diaper in my purse, and 90% of the time it's unused. If it's the right size is anyone's guess. Smart moms have healthy, nutritious, preportioned snacks ready at a moment's notice. Granola, fruit, homemade yogurt even. I am really pretty  jealous of those moms. At least they are really good at sharing, so I know my kid will never starve! Yesterday Bubba was wailing for a treat in the car. He had been a superstar at the market so I was inclined to give him a treat. However, not being a smart mom, I had limited options in my rolling garbage can also known as my car. Digging around I found a Hershey's Kiss. PERFECT! Bubba loves chocolate, much like his mommy and Lali, so I thought I had scored. Bonus? It's a mint truffle kiss! Who doesn't LOVE mint and chocolate together? I make mint chocolate truffles by the hundreds and they last about seven minutes at work. I unwrapped it and passed it back to him- luckily we were still in the parking lot so that acrobatic feat didn't put any of us in peril. I heard some nom nomming and a muffled "Dank you" so I was ready to roll. The car smelled minty and delicious and I was kind of bummed I had only found one. Things were good. Until I pulled into the garage and opened Bubba's door to hear the screams of "Mess! Mess! I kween!" (yes, he is my child- I was in the OR when they snagged him out, and yes, he likes to clean). It was pretty dark in the garage but when I pulled Bub out I saw the mess. Apparently toddlers DON'T like chocolate and mint together. The car seat, Bubba, and now me, were COVERED in melted chocolate. Damn kisses, why can't they be like M & M's???? We are talking about chocolate explosion here. The nom nomming I heard? He had found a donut hole, which might have qualified as an ancient relic, and savored every bite. Yeah, now if that's not winning I don't know what is! However, I pretended not to see it and whisked him inside to get changed and wash his hands. I promptly forgot about it, until daycare drop off this morning, in broad daylight. That carseat was trashed. Minty and delicious, yes, but a mess. I borrowed wipes from Daycare Dawnie (because of course I didn't have any) and tried to clean as best I could. I had to use my Wegman's card to dig chocolate out of the buckle even! It was foul. It sort of made me rethink my snack protocol, and as I drove home I had visions of preportioned, clean snacks I could keep in the car. I'm not good at healthy snacks, at least, not for me. I do try really hard with Bubba, and he loves applesauce and fruit leather (which I did actually make myself once, until I realized it is way cheaper to buy it at the store, but not at the checkout line-buying things individually is sort of dumb when they sell a big box for 2.99) but for me? Yeah, I'm the friend that will show up for playdate with coconut cake and artichoke asiago dip, with nary a nutritious calorie in sight. Why did I think we could give that to the kids?

Actually, not being a smart mom might be a good thing- mommies do love some coconut cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment