Sunday, December 18, 2011

Traditions, Tradition!

You really should read the title with an accent like Topol, a la "Fiddler on the Roof"- at least, that's what I was thinking when I wrote it. I've been thinking a lot about traditions over the past few weeks- those we have based on family, religion, friends, all of them. Like WooBerry- it's tradition for me now to sit there with mommas and eat mass quantities of toppings (and maybe some fro-yo underneath). Toddler Train Time at Wegman's? That is becoming a tradition too. For me, traditions are more than just events or things that regularly happen- they are activities that become a part of who we are. The things that someone will recall when talking about us behind our backs (or in front of us!) As we approach the holidays, I am trying to figure out what my family traditions should be. We're like a good Glee episode- a mash-up. My husband grew up celebrating Chanukah, and I am a Christmas girl all the way. Since Bubba was born, we have celebrated Chanukah too- both boys have menorahs (granted, Bubba's is made out of felt. No flame for him thank you very much)! We realized tonight that this is the first Christmas we have actually spent together- my family (well, my parents and I) have the tradition of escaping to the warm, welcoming, arms of Mickey. I have spent more Christmas mornings there than anywhere else, and that is a tradition in and of itself. My hubs has always had to work, and aside from the Christmas morning when he proposed in a gazebo jutting off into the sea (that's a really funny story. One day, when I have nothing to say, I will write about that!) he's stayed home and worked. Now, however, I'm screwed because I AM THE MATRIARCH. Holy shit. I'm the adult now. I have this whole new nuclear family. I have two kids for crying out loud! It's up to me to create some new, meaningful traditions. Ha. Good freaking luck to me. My parents are coming up this Christmas too, so it's the first time I have ever "hosted" Christmas. The tree will be at their hotel, because really, toddlers and trees just don't mix (we have a fake palm tree in the dining room that can be the stand in- Bubba's tricycle will be there in the morning) but we will go to the hotel first thing in the morning to do the traditional Christmas morning things- stockings, presents, squeals of delight, the whole nine yards. Other than that, Christmas is on my turf. And I can't stop. Wrapping, baking, menu planning. I have a shopping list that is so long I have to actually turn it over to see the rest. It's even arranged by aisle (have I mentioned the Wegman's app? It's AMAZING) I have Christmas Eve dinner, and Christmas dinner to do of course, but it is also JB's birthday on the 23rd, so WHOO HOOO!!! Birthday dinner too!!! This will result in epic amounts of food being created. I was going to get an assortment of sushi or something, but no- I will channel my inner Paula Deen and whip out my apron. It's sort of ugly, but luckily, several people in my village are damn good at sewing! We're talking mango chutney ham glazes, red wine reductions, "THE" crab dip,  goat cheese crumbles meals. Meals I could take pictures of. Squash with prettier skin than I have (the Delicata, of course!) and perfectly polished pecans.

Don't even think I'm dropping the ball on Chanukah either- we're hosting friends that night and there will be matzo ball soup, brisket, latkes with all the fixings, and other such yummy things. We'll light the candles and enjoy a wonderful meal.

So far it's all about the food (and the wrapping, scented pine candles, decorating, and incessant playings of the Rosie O'Donnell Christmas album) but I need some real traditions. Something I can force my children to do for the rest of their lives, and they in turn can make their kids do it. At least one for each holiday. And I am completely stumped. I can think of NOTHING. We already make sure to give to others and do our best to help those in need all year round. When the kids are older, they will actually have to show up and volunteer somewhere to be eligible for festivities (but my hope is that they WANT to do it!) but I need more. Something better than average. I only have three days left until the first night of Chanukah, so I need to get on it. HELP ME PEOPLE!

I need a tradition better than popping open a nice bottle of pinot and saying "MINE!" repeatedly- that just won't fly. At least, not until the boys are of age, then they can adopt it, if they can still afford wine after all of their therapist bills.

2 comments:

  1. Most of my favorite family traditions are centered around food - so you're not too far off! Here are a few things from my childhood or others I've seen:
    - A trip to an annual show (think Nutcracker, Holiday POPS, etc)
    - My sister's family builds a gingerbread house together in early December and then devours it on Christmas Eve - they stare at it for a long three weeks as the centerpieces of the table.
    - We mixed Latin and USAmerican cuisines for our Christmas Eve dinner (I was born and raised in Costa Rica) and had tamales, corn chowder, and sugar cookies for dinner.
    - When and how you open gifts can be a tradition as well. I've found every family does it differently. We did family gifts on Christmas Eve and Santa gifts under the tree and in stockings on Christmas Day. This broke up the gift giving and separated the two in our minds. Santa never wrapped gifts either, they were always set up ready to play. My husband's family does a huge open house party on Christmas Eve where they do friend gifts, then Santa gifts in the morning, family gifts after breakfast, and then a Yankee Swap before dinner at his Uncle's home.
    - Advent calendars to count down the days to various holidays.
    - Religious services of all kinds
    - Trips to see "spectacles" like the lights around town or this place: http://www.lasalette-shrine.org/Christmas.html (it's insane, I used to live around the corner from them)

    Troll through the blogosphere and I'm sure you'll find a gazillion more!! Good Luck and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family did not have those traditions you see on TV or in movies and long for. We though always went to see the same relatives on Christmas Eve and then others on Christmas Day. I remember the excitement and the food we had. Some people did the same food and others did new foods every year. As an adult, now that I live back in the area, I keep that tradition (for now while the kids are more easily mobile) to visit those same relatives on Christmas Eve and Day.

    I want to start some fun traditions as they get older of baking with them and decorating the tree and buying toys to donate or choosing a name of someone in our area and picking out special gifts for them. I want to have them involved in making a gift for the people they love and understand the meaning of Christmas is more than a money value to a gift.

    Christmas traditions sometimes happen by accident...don't get too stressed but maybe this year think about what will work for them next year and start small.

    ReplyDelete