Saturday, March 4, 2017

People are Good, and Kind. And then there's those other weirdos...

This is really an update on yesterday's blog post. I have received a tremendous amount of support, from all over the world- who knew that people in Thailand were reading my blog? Well, they are. And they send messages. 99% of the feed back I have received has been incredible. And then there is that 1%. "Why are you putting your personal business out there for others to see?" Oh, and "Your issues should be private!".

You know what? I put it out there because I am alone, and yet NOT alone. I am a single mom. I am busting my ass to raise my boys to be good people. I work hard to ensure that my students leave my classroom feeling good about their accomplishments. I have more support from my family than anyone could dream of, and I am ridiculously grateful. I have awesome friends, who are ready and willing to support me- when I actually communicate what I need (my biggest character flaw- I suck at asking for help, but I am getting much better at it). This is a way of me being real, and acknowledging that I DO need support, that I can't do it alone.

I have every privilege than anyone could dream of. I am not worried about providing meals- and trust me, I know how blessed I am. However, what I don't have is accountability. I don't have someone else right alongside me, in the moment, encouraging me to make a healthier choice. There is no one keeping tabs on whether I worked out or didn't. No one is riding in my car when I drive past Wendy's (I drive past other fast food joints, but I don't really like them like I do Wendy's). My doctor, as fantastic as she is, isn't micro managing me (she knows I need to lose weight but is impressed as I am the healthiest fattie she knows [totally my words- she would NEVER use that term]). I know myself, and I know what I need to succeed. I need PRESSURE. And that is why I am being completely transparent about my struggle and my journey. I have worked with students who have Type 1 diabetes, a peanut allergy,  or Celiac's. Everyone is aware, and we work together to support those kiddos to the best of our ability. I am by no means trivializing these conditions- merely saying that there are going to be days, even weeks, where I need similar support.

So yes, I am an over-sharer. And if that over-sharing helps me reach my goals, for my children? Then so be it. I'm a wee bit Machiavellian- the end totally justifies the means....

No comments:

Post a Comment