Saturday, August 17, 2013

Maybe...

Does anyone remember the Samples? They were an idie rock band that I think was from Vermont...when I spent a year in boarding school, at Choate Rosemary Hall, they came to campus for a concert. I remember that night, because A) It was a great concert and B) I remember carrying a friend up to the venue piggy back because they hurt their ankle...not totally sure who it was. There is a lyric from a Samples song that resonates with me at this stage of life "Maybe nothing lasts forever, not the mountains or the seas, but the times we had together they will always be with me". I just spent a glorious week in the place that speaks to my heart, Cape May. It's a place that makes me happy and sad all at once- I have memories walking down every street of my grandparents, and the things we used to do. I took the boys on a walk every morning and found myself reciting the same things my grandfather said to me, to them. There is a direct way to the "mall", and yet, I followed the path I took so many times with Pappy- tripping on the same slate sidewalks, telling the same stories. It reminded me that I don't know where my life will go- I may be here in the home I love, working in a school I adore, for the next twenty years. I also don't know who will come into my life- and in the long run, it's those moments and memories together that shape me, and shape the next generation. I can't close myself off to any possibility.

This is comforting, and yet daunting. The true beauty is that I know the moments I spend with my parents, and my boys, will always be with US.

No comments:

Post a Comment