Saturday, August 3, 2013

Dreams and Aspirations

So my teeny tiny kiddo wants to be a firefighter. Someone (who shall remain nameless) told him he was too small to do it. Grrr. Here comes Mama Baer. Yes, my almost four year old is so skinny I can use his ribs as a xylaphone. He's short too, but so am I. He was really sad and said "but mama, I want to be a fireman so I can help people and be a real superhero! I need to be bigger!". It nearly broke my heart- but then I remembered one of my former students- the nicest kid. Smart, friendly, dedicated- awesome family behind him too. He was certainly not the biggest kid in seventh and eighth grade (yes, I cycled with my kids- had them for 7th and 8th) but was one of the best. I will never forget him, or his family. They were everything a teacher could hope for from a family. Kind, generous, humble, appreciative. I still have the cards that they wrote me when he moved from 7th to 8th, and then "graduated" to high school. Every so often I read them, and it reminds me of why I do what I do. Fast forward ten years. This young man is not only educated, and a graduate, but a real, live, FIREMAN. He posts pictures occasionally of him at work, and I always show Mr. M. He's so impressed. He loves the pictures from the scene, and the firetrucks, and the gear. Whenever he's in a rotten mood I can say, let's go look at x's pictures and he's back-happy and smiling.

It doesn't matter your size, or the expectations thrust upon you- if you have the dream, the dedication- you can do it. My former student is a real, live, superhero according to my son. And I totally agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment