Saturday, March 2, 2013

Havin' a Party

So I am having a dinner party tonight- just to say thank you to some amazing people. This in and of itself is not novel- I love to entertain and any excuse I have to make numerous dishes with bacon is a great thing. However, I forgot the get the chocolate. You know, the chocolate I need to melt to dip the (vodka-soaked) fruit in, and to cover the mint truffles. No big, after J's nap we'll head to mecca, Weggie's. I was slacking on making the truffle insides because there is no real hurry, I can't finish them yet anyway. I had all the ingredients ready on the counter (mise en place is key when cooking with two smallish kids!) and decided to empty the dishwasher. M was putzing around and the next thing I knew I heard the food processor going. Um, hello heart attack. Never mind that it wouldn't run without the lid and all the safety gear in place, I thought I had a bacon loving poltergeist on my hands! Turning around, I find Mr. Cheffy Pants Magee making the truffles. He was crushing the cookies, and then said "OK Mommy, it's done, time for the rest!" I helped him take the lid off, and he popped in the rest of the ingredients, put the lid back on himself- AND REMEMBERED TO PRESS THE DOUGH BUTTON. I rarely remember that myself! This kid totally retains EVERYTHING. That's not a good thing all the time because my language is not so pretty sometimes. He can also recite "Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc" and does so every time we enter the alcohol section at Weggie's (he's never been to an actual liquor store- I'm not that terrible an influence- hang up on DCF) so the fact that he could make the truffles wasn't a total shock. We make them way too much because they are delicious, easy, and his beloved Miss Nessa at school is QUITE the fan. The dough button however? That blew me away. M finished his work, and dragged his stool over to the fridge and waited patiently for me to open it. "Hurry up mommy the dough needs to chill."

Hmm, ok, kid. I'll open the fridge for you, but you have to make lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment