Thursday, November 29, 2012

You must remember this...

My mind is a swirling mess this morning- snippets of poems, lyrics, quotes- while there isn't much cohesiveness, the theme is consistent. I'll start with Sappho- a writer, c. 650 in Ancient Greece, and a part of my junior year curriculum in high school. I might have been a crap student but I did get a lot from John Howard's AP English class, including a poem which I think of frequently.

You may forget but 
let me tell you 
this: someone in 
some future time 
will think of us.

-Sappho

These days, I read a lot of Walter Dean Myers with my students and this morning I was struck my the truth in this line from his memoir, Bad Boy

While we live our own individual lives, what has gone before us, our history, always has an effect on us. 

My students are currently writing a response to this and while I have been teaching for almost fourteen years, I have never gotten such eloquent and thoughtful responses. I'm a lucky teacher today.

No comments:

Post a Comment