Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Oy. Professional Development.

So today I have a professional development workshop on writing. It's actually really good, but they made us write a personal narrative. At eight. In the MORNING. So I thought I would share it for kicks and giggles.


Fabric swatches, spider webs of thread, scraps of paper. Slightly skewed pins poke my fingers as I sift through my box of treasures. A purple and teal quilt square drips over the edge like paint sliding down the outside of the can. It’s not paint, but fabric is my paint of choice. I use bits and snippets to create colorful scenes to be shared and loved by many.

The purple and teal are remnants from the first foray I made into quilting. At my mother’s side she showed me how to use the rotary cutter oh so carefully making neat even rows of squares. She taught me to thread the sewing machine effortlessly, and how NOT to sew my own finger. That first quilt still hangs in my childhood bedroom and lord is it ugly. Yet every time I see it I return to sun filled afternoons in the attic sewing room adjacent to my bedroom. I remember that in the middle of the night when sleep eluded me, I would slip over to the “other” side taking care not to fall down the stairs or hit my head on the slanted ceiling just to sort and rearrange colorful blocks until it was just right, only to be redesigned the next day.

Those afternoons sewing were a highlight of my very busy youth. I spent endless hours rehearsing and performing, soaking up the spotlight (literally) center stage. The fabric play was just a background piece of me- something I didn’t talk about or identify as making me who I was. Yet now, as an adult, it is the fabric that soothes me and gives me moments of tranquility in my hectic, 2012 mommy life. Each day brings with it new challenges and rewards, but very little time to actually sit and just be. Those stolen moments I have in the dining room with my fabric is magical- even when I’m cursing at the bobbin case that always catches or the dull rotary blade, I am really soaking up the restorative powers of craft- of moments in the sun with my mother sewing. No, the quilts are never perfect, but each one is beautiful, redolent with happy memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment