Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Oh hell no!!!

Obviously I am a staunch supporter of the Democratic party. Granted, some people that I love dearly are the "R Word", and you know what? That's ok. I love them for the people they are not the ballots they cast. HOWEVER, I will not abide by other people's judgement and holier than thou attitude. I was at the polls today, waiting in line- not to vote, but at the bake sale table. I mean really, my kids will go to school there one day, I am fine with buying some gluten free treats to support them!!! No big deal. There was a couple standing there too, who I don't know, but are a couple. Two women, there with THEIR KIDS. I don't give a hoot how many mommies children have. It's not my call. I care that parents provide their children with love, support, and the freedom to be who they are. If the only thing I give my children is the comfort to know they will always be loved, then I have done my job as a parent. Personally, I also support gay marriage, and adoption, and anything else someone who is gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered- wants to do. In college I was a big Rainbow Coalition member- yes, me, a straight white girl- and firmly believed then, as I do now, that who you love doesn't matter AT ALL. My grandfather? Not so much. I had a rainbow pin on my backpack and he was APPALLED. He wanted me to take it off before entering his house. After several hours of me sitting in the carport REFUSING my grandmother (a pain in my butt but I loved her dearly) appealed to him and I was allowed into the house. He was also a republican with a big, fat, capital R, and I loved him dearly too. More than almost anyone in my life, except my mom. Yes, I turned the pictures of George Bush when I was staying there, but I loved him vociferously and ferociously. I digress- polling place. Massachusetts. Present day. Another woman waiting in line for delicious chocolate chip cookies, was huffing and puffing next to the family also waiting for their sweet treat. She was visibly perturbed and honestly, I just couldn't take it anymore. I asked if she was ok. She rolled her eyes and said "I just don't understand how people like THAT can pretend to be parents and waltz in here." Holy. Shit. I had not encountered such overt homophobia. And loud! And obvious!!!!!! This woman was glaring, and shooting daggers at a happy family supporting the neighborhood school. I couldn't take it. I am incredibly thankful that my children weren't with me, because I lost it. It's been a long week and there was no more holding back (I work with the only Republican teachers I have ever met and dang, school has been like a war zone!). I let it rip. I will never repeat what I really said because honestly, I'm not too proud of some of the language I used. No F bombs or traditional curse words, I was in an elementary school, but let's just say I asked some prying questions into her bedroom behavior, and the way she was raising her children, and whether she liked it or not when I was passing judgement. I have no idea who she was, or what her life is like, but in that moment, I really didn't give a rat's ass. I can tolerate many things but not bigotry and hatred in action. There are many things I want to say even now- I am still SO MAD.

Proud of myself? Maybe not. It probably wasn't the time nor place, but I couldn't let it go. I will certainly never be the queen bee of the mom's group, because she could be a member for all I know.

But my children will grow up in a family that does not accept bigotry or hatred. And having a mom willing to speak up, be heard, and fight for the rights of ALL Americans.

Happy Election Day to one and all. Be heard. Be the voice of reason.

1 comment: