Sunday, January 1, 2012

What am I doing?

Not so much. Especially not on New Year's Eve. When I was younger it was pretty cool, although I can count on one hand how many times I went to parties. There was an awesome party at my neighbor's house every New Year's Eve, but I think I only went once- their daughter remains my oldest and dearest friend (she even had her daughter the day before Shrimp!) and the kids' always got to invite their friends over too. It was a lot of fun, but I was typically in Florida for New Years. Not a bad deal, not at all! I spent NYE 2000 on the beach at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea with all of my family (all seven of us!), 2001 went to a goofy all inclusive party down on Las Olas where we were the youngest people by about fifteen years, and I remember being in the pool with Jib the elder at midnight- perhaps 1994? 1993? It was the Doubletree then, now it's something else. It was the last year we stayed off property. Now, NYE is much more about seeing friends I don't get to see as often as I like. NYE 2009 two of my closest friends came up and we hung out in another buddy's basement. Good times, I tell you. That's as exciting as it gets around here. Last night the most raucous thing that happened was Kathy Griffin disrobing in front of Anderson Cooper on CNN's coverage of Times Square. Wooo let the party begin! It was a great night though- a wonderful bottle of wine, a dear friend, and super yummy appetizers. Until about 11:20 pm when Bubba woke up with a vengeance. Screaming, hollering, the whole shtick. That went on until about 1 am, and then occurred periodically the rest of the night. It was pretty ugly. Up for the day at 5:45. Happy Freaking New Year. At least I didn't fail at any of my resolutions today, because I just don't bother. Resolutions were probably invented by a group of clinicians many years ago to ensure continued clientele. Why should I avow to do something to better my life, when I screw it up pretty quickly? How does that affect your psyche? Not in a good way. Off to the therapist! Bottom line, we're all just hanging on my the skin of our teeth- especially to our sanity. One week without daycare and I'm ready to check myself into one of those old school sanatoriums where you drink sulfur water and breathe deeply as exercise, like in the olden days. Not the kind where they strap you to a gurney and forget about you for a few days. The nice kind, with croquet and cards, and perhaps a good meal or two. I survived 2011- lots of highlights of course, but like any good hair colorist knows, you needs some lowlights to make the blonde shine brighter! Like it or not, 2012 is here, and we'd all better buckle our seatbelts, because here we go!

Unless someone can figure out how to release the lap bars, so I can get off.

No comments:

Post a Comment