Tuesday, July 23, 2013

You say it's your birthday?

I am crazy. I know this. I just finished the invites for the boys' joint birthday party in the end of September. I was pretty psyched, as the goody bags, paper goods, menu, cake ordering, and venue were all already done. The only thing left was the invite, and it was the hardest part. Why, you say? Just tell them where to show up and when!!! Well, the gifts held me up. They have so many toys. More toys than I even knew we owned. I know they will get more over the next three months. They just don't need gifts. So do I go with a "your presence is present enough" tagline? If I leave it off, then they get lots and lots of AWESOME gifts, but they certainly don't NEED them. Then there are people that would still give a gift- and then I struck upon an answer. Um, hello, we donate to Peach's Neet Feet as often as we can, why not provide that as an option? Then the "I must not arrive empty handed" folks feel fulfilled, and I feel great that we are doing something to better society. When my Mr. J was in the Med/Surgical ICU last week, there were several other patients rocking their PNF's. I think it's the most awesome cause out there that addresses the day to day needs of pediatric cancer patients, and kids with terminal conditions. So that's our tagline- "In lieu of gifts, we will be making a donation to Peach's Neet Feet- feel free to join us!"

Really, what our world needs isn't kids that look to their birthdays as a time to get stuff, but as a time to appreciate all that they already have.

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome idea! Definitely will do this for next bday party- Isabella has WAY too many toys and she doesn't even play with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this HB! I was just looking at the strewn out in multiple rooms mess of my one child's toys. You are inspiring in your fresh ideas and thinking. (Not sure if that sounds odd but it's early and I'm still cognitively waking up.

    ReplyDelete