Sunday, May 11, 2014

Naked Left Handed Mamas, REJOICE!

Yeah, I'm a naked left handed mama. No wedding ring, no engagement ring. I'm doing it on my own- for ME. For my boys. Today is Mother's Day in the US (no clue if it's the same for all of my, oh, three readers across the pond!) and I was DREADING it. Mother's Day just seemed like a set-up for me- like any other Sunday. Wipe noses. Make lunches. Change diapers. Repeat. It wasn't though. As for the gift scene, my parents helped my boys choose gifts for me, which I adored. Their teachers helped them make lovely "homemade" gifts, which I will treasure forever. It's truly not about the stuff- but I steeled myself to see all the cute posts on Facebook of the breakfasts in bed, manufactured by daddies (read: husbands), to spoil their partners, and baby mamas. Yeah, there were those, but it honestly didn't bother me. I had some sad moments, but the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior- and when I was married Mother's Day surprises didn't make the cut- so why should it bother me now? You know what? It didn't. I was with my boys. I am ALWAYS with my mama in my heart. I saw many friends. I celebrated with people I adore. I laughed, smiled, and had my face painted like a tiger. I enjoyed a day in the sun with my sons, doing things they enjoy. I ate yummy food, and tucked my sweet babies into bed by 8 pm (yes, as amazing as the day was, it was really nice for the nuggets to be in bed)! It was a great day (and if you watch the Fresh Beats, go ahead and sing the rest of the song- "it was a super day! To spend the day together!!!")

I'm glad that the day is over, mainly because I'm exhausted from all of the good times. And also, because I no  longer dread the second Sunday in May. Mother's Day is a beautiful day to be alive- to be loved, to be honored, and most importantly, to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment