Sunday, March 23, 2014

Orange Chicken, the Healthy-ish Way!

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a fan of Chinese food. Not a fan of the side effects, obviously. However, I've been building my arsenal of homemade Chinese recipes. Thought I would share the delicious Orange Chicken I made yesterday. Once of my co-workers shared the recipe, and I tweaked it, but of course!!!

Orange Chicken

1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
Juice from 1/2 orange
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp chopped green onion, AKA scallions
3/4 tsp fresh grated ginger root
4 cloves garlic, minced
Orange zest from one medium sized orange
Olive oil
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
4 boneless chicken breasts
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water

Toss the water, vinegar, orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, green onion, garlic, ginger and orange zest into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and allow to cool.

Put flour and salt into a ziploc bag. I like to add a smidge of garlic powder too. Clean up the chicken, and cut into cubes. Toss chicken into bag, seal, and throw it around to coat the pieces.

Add olive oil to a large saute pan over medium high heat. I don't measure my olive oil- just use enough so the pan is coated. Put half of the chicken in the pan, brown on all sides, and once it is cooked through move to plate. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.

OK this part is important- put your 2 tbsp water and 3 tbsp cornstarch in a small bowl and stir well. If you teach preschool, resist the urge to add more cornstarch and play with the goop. Bring your sauce back to a boil over medium high heat. Once it's boiling stir in the cornstarch mixture and reduce to medium low heat, simmering. Stir occasionally until it's thickened, about five minutes. Toss in your chicken and let it chillax on low for about four minutes- really, just until the chicken has re-warmed. Eat over rice, or noodles, or straight out of the pan, if you're famished already.

I love it, the kids love it, my parents love it- a winning dish. Leftovers taste even better!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment