Saturday, April 5, 2014

Why, yes, I can cook something vegan...

I love bacon. It's almost as amazing as my mom. ALMOST. However, when a friend tears her achilles, and she's vegan and gluten free, you add some dishes to your repertoire. This one's a super winner. Everyone who has tried it loves it- as do I! Do the kids eat it? Well, no. But I know OTHER people's children adore it!

Cashew "Mac & Cheese" Sauce

(don't try to pretend it's actually cheesy- it has similar tang and is delicious in it's own right!)

1 cup raw cashews
1 cup vegetable broth (or chicken if you're not vegan!)
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp miso paste (mine was pretty mild so I used 3)
1 canned chipotle pepper, seeded OR five shakes from Chipotle Cholula

Soak cashews in water for at least an hour. Drain liquid and pop into food processor or Vitamix. I don't have a Vitamix so food processor for me! Add the rest of the ingredients and blend like crazy. Let it go- and no, not the Disney song- just let it bust out creamy goodness for a few minutes.  Cook some pasta, and throw in some frozen (ha ha TWO Frozen references in ONE blog post!) veggies or sauteed fresh veg.  If you are doing frozen, toss it in the pasta pot when it's ALMOST done. If it's fresh and already hot, just leave it to the side. Drain pasta and veg, then stir in sauce. If you have done the fresh veg route, toss them in too.

This s&^% is delicious. Super yummy. And SUPER healthy. Google nutritional yeast- you'll see.

Oh, and I just saw a pig fly by my window- with his bacon intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment