Sunday, March 23, 2014

Crab Ran-yummmmmmy

Chinese food is delicious. It also causes my fingers and feet to swell like a nine month pregnant woman in a sauna. The salt! It's brutal. It's also too expensive, and typically works like a freaking laxative. I've mastered the at home, healthier versions of my favorites, like honey garlic chicken, lo mein, and fried rice (mine is way yummier FYI). Finally though, I have struck on crab rangoon genius. It's not gummy, not deep fried greasy, and so freaking good!!!

Crab Rangoon

Package of wonton wrappers
Block of cream cheese (I actually usually use two blocks- I love scallions and usually use three so I feel like I need more cream cheese in the bowl- if you do use two, double the soy sauce, worcestershire (or oyster) and use 3 tsp. of sugar as opposed to two)
Can of crab meat- the cheapie ones are fine!
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp worcestershire sauce (or oyster sauce)
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp celery salt
Cooking spray, like Pam

Preheat the oven to 350. Most recipes say 425 but it's just too hot! The got all black on the corners way before the center was warm. Tried 375- still too burn-y. 350 works much better.

Filling: Combine all the ingredients except the wonton wrappers and cooking spray in a bowl. I use my hands sometimes, but a fork does the trick.

Spray a baking sheet with the Pam. Work with just two or three wonton wrappers at a time, as they get really dried out. I moisten a paper towel to lay over the ones I am not yet working with. Put a teaspoon (the eating kind of teaspoon, not the measuring kind!) in the center of your wonton. Use your finger to moisten the edges with water. I just keep a small bowl of water next to me. Fold over into a triangle and press down the sides, sealing as well as you can. I like to then fold over the corners so they look like little envelopes- less chance of burning!! Place on baking sheet and spritz top with Pam. Continue until your filling is gone- I get about 24. Bake until golden brown and drool worthy- mine take about 9-11 minutes.

These are delicious- but aren't the almost sweet, gummy ones you get a Chinese take away places. If you like that flavor, add a teaspoon of sugar to the mixture. However, the garlic adds a lovely spice to these, and they are well loved by adults AND my picky a** kids!!!! Calorically, the wonton wrappers have 18 calories each, the seasonings none, the spray, none. The crab is low cal- so it's really just the cream cheese- and you can use one of those fancy Greek yogurt cream cheeses, or the reduced fat ones. Either way, you're not destroying your day of healthy(ish) eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment