Sunday, March 16, 2014

I'm Irish, damnit! I SWEAR!!!


Look at me go. Two posts in one day! Today I learned that I am 1/4 Irish, so I feel that it is my duty, as an Irish lass, to share a recipe for corned beef sliders. You know, since five million of them don't already exist. That said, here it is.

Corned Beef

Slab O'Raw corned beef
2 onions, chopped into hunks
4 carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 bottles of good beer (I know- this alone might cause my Irish Card to expire)
3 tsp pickling spice
1 tbsp dill
4 tbsp mustard

Whisk the beer and the mustard together. Toss the veggies in the crockpot. Throw slab o'raw corned beef in. Sprinkle pickling spice and dill over beef. Top with beer/mustard mix. Cook on low for approximately two hours per pound. Mine was 3 pounds, and was fine after five hours- keep an eye on it. Eat. Sing "Oh Danny Boy" while doing an Irish jig. If you are tone deaf, make sliders with horseradish jicama slaw. 

Slaw

Bag of shredded cabbage/slaw mix (you can chop your own too- make sure to get some carrots in there
Small onion, chopped finely
Jicama, shredded or chopped finely
1 cup (approximately) apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp celery seed
1 tbsp dill 
2 tsp ground mustard seed OR 2 tbsp mustard
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup mayonnaise (or more or less- it's a taste thing)
Prepared horseradish (I prefer the white- I'm not giving an amount because it's really up to your taste!)

Whisk together the wet ingredients and the seasonings. Add sugar, whisk some more. Taste. Too creamy or sweet? Add a smidge more apple cider vinegar. Too tart? Add a smidge more sugar. Repeat until you like it. Add a small amount of horseradish at a time, whisking and tasting. When it's super yummy, toss in your onion, cabbage, and jicama. Coat well and refrigerate for at least three hours. You can eat it right away, but the flavors need some time to come together for optimal results. 

Shove corned beef and slaw into little rolls- or big rolls. I don't judge. Eat. Dance jig. Repeat.



No comments:

Post a Comment