Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Nom nom nom

OK, so if you know me at all you know that I am kind of snarky, have two kids, am a teacher, and that I really like food. Good food, not just crap off the shelves (unless it is Birthday Cake Oreos- those are insanely delicious and should not exist at all). I love the rigamarole of fancy food, and love dining out as much as possible. Yes the children have put a damper on that, but occasionally I find a restaurant that fills my needs AND their needs. In the name of full disclosure, I am about to spew compliments about a restaurant owned by my dear friends. Yes, it's fantastic. Yes, it's "fancy", but yes, it's also kid friendly. My friends opened a restaurant in Worcester called Volturno- Pizza Napoletana (and I am not Italian so I will definitely screw something up here). They have wood-fired pizza ovens that can cook a pizza in 90 seconds. And it's AMAZING. My kids love it. Mr. M calls crust "logs" and typically will toss them in the garbage, but tonight he ate his pizza (fior de latte- basically mozzarella & sauce) and then proceeded to pull the "logs" off of my pizza, the funghi. Yeah, that's mushrooms with goat cheese, and a bunch of other delicious cheeses, on an olive oil base- no sauce. I had it for the first time tonight, and I took a bite- and groaned in disbelief. Those wonderful little mushrooms had been misted/soaked/brushed with a lemon oil. Yeah. It was amazing. It was like that little bit of acidity woke up the earthy little funghi with some freakin' fireworks. Really, who thinks of that? I was over the moon. Never mind the fantastic arancini made with porcini mushrooms- this was off the charts delicious. So go eat there people. It's delicious. And bring your kids. They will love it too!

Did I mention there are massive windows so your small ones can stare at the cars/trains/people and pretty much leave you alone to enjoy an adult meal? That MIGHT be almost as good as my pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment