Saturday, October 27, 2012

Parents & Kids

So this is sort of political, but sort of not. There is a candidate in this election who appears to be overly concerned about parents- who is parenting, how many of them, and is sort of stuck on this one mom, one dad, married situation. Yeah, that's what families were traditionally like, but really? It doesn't always work out like that. I am a lucky woman- I was raised in a loving family that instilled in me confidence and good values, as well as the importance of being able to take care of myself (when I am sick though all bets are off and I want my mommy- NOW!). Now that I am a parent with two pretty spectacularly amazing little boys, I am even more confused as to why a politician would give two ducks who is parenting. Let's get real- there are thousands of unloved, uncared for children in this country. There are kids that are abused, neglected, belittled, and perhaps worst of all, unloved. These are the children that I want my elected officials to concern themselves with. I certainly don't have an answer, but am pretty sure forcing women to bring unwanted children into the world is NOT it. Suggesting that two moms, two dads, and single parenting situations are the problem? Um, no. Families are not created by a legal marriage certificate, or anything other than love and the desire to raise another generation of inclusive, loving children raised with the common value that no one can determine what is moral or amoral when it comes to that love. I know some married male/female parents that kind of suck. I am sure there are some same sex couples that kind of suck as parents too. Being a crap parent can happen to anyone, and for fleeting moments even. We've all been there, at least for a bit. My kid's Jack O' Lantern is really ugly, probably because I refused to let him do the carving (mommy really likes that kind of thing!) and at that moment, I sucked. My J Dog is currently caterwauling as I think of other examples of my sucktasticness. I let my three year old sleep in my bed when dear hubs is working late because I am just too tired to go through the bedtime antics by myself.

Next thing you know politicians will be making comments about my family too. It's a slippery slope.

No comments:

Post a Comment