Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fall Flavors Mac and Cheese


So I made a blog on wordpress, for my Mama Bee Kitchen Coaching. Well, it's a PITA. I can't even handle it. I don't know how to share ANYTHING. So I'll force my regular old blog to shift into food world. This recipe is fantastic. Yes, it's finally fall! You might not be thrilled about the cooler temperatures, but I am ecstatic. I LOVE FALL FLAVORS! This hearty mac and cheese captures them all perfectly.

1 lb of small pasta of your choice (I like cavatappi but regular elbow macaroni is fine too!)
3/4 lb sweet Italian sausage browned and drained
1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
1 cup whipping cream
5 oz fontina cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup milk
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp salk
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp fresh sage or 2 tbsp dried sage
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 cup breadcrumbs
i cup parmesan cheese
olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook and drain pasta while you cook the sausage.  In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan, and enough olive oil to make the mixture crumbly. Set aside. In a medium sauce pan melt butter over medium heat. Add cream and milk and bring to a slow simmer. Add fontina and whisk to melt. Toss shredded cheese with flour in a small bowl until coated. Whisk into cheese mixture. Add pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sage. Whisk until smooth and remove from heat. Add sauce and sausage to pasta and mix well. Pour into a buttered baking dish and top with breadcrumb mixture. Pop it in the over for about 25 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Let sit for ten minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment