Tuesday, July 11, 2017

On a Mission...still...

I am kind of at the frustrated stage- I have 14 months to lose some serious weight and become STRONG (physically- emotionally I am a beast). Found an awesome place where we have a "Surf & Turf" membership- pool and fitness, year round. The boys are in hog heaven- it reminds them of their beloved Beach Club, sans beach of course. I love the water fitness classes.

Today it rained. My kids still went to the kids' club on site (they wake up begging for it) and I was going to sit in my car and read for two and a half hours. And then I saw the people walking into the gym. Self talk ensued. This is dumb. I am sitting in my car. I am am wearing workout appropriate clothes that no one will laugh at. For bonus points, I am even wearing my NYSA coach shirt. SEE! I do SPORTS! I have sneakers. I might as well go in. So I did. And realized I didn't even know how to find the fitness center from the main entrance, or the locker room.

Old me would have fled. New me asked the ladies at the front desk what the heck I should do if I wanted to exercise. Well drat, she found a trainer and said "have a great workout!". Damn all these nice positive people.

They even have a sign on the wall that says "even experts were beginners once". Freaking positive reinforcement. And then the trainer showed me the treadmill. I could watch all the cable channels! And be on FB! And Pinterest! And read the newspaper! I could even select a view for my walking. I chose New Zealand beach walk, if anyone cares. An hour later, I wasn't dead. I did have a blister, as my feet don't like shoes with heels. Then this super lovely lady next to me said "Do you want to try the weight machines with me? I know you are new I can show you how". CRAP. Niceness (and an affinity for her adorable sneakers) won out over super anxiety at looking like a fool. Obviously I said yes. Forty minutes later I had managed to not fall off any machines, and found the spray and paper towels to wipe my germs off of them.

Bottom line, I didn't die. I do have a blister, and just spent way too much money on socks that will theoretically prevent that, as my new sneakers were fit to my feet by people who "know". Who knew there were socks that are specialized for exercise? That need to be line dried like my super boring and functional bras?? Well, now I know. And to add to it- I just ordered a high neck, no skirt bathing suit- I am finding doing laps with a skirt and cute tankini top is so freaking annoying. So watch out world, the thighs are coming out.

And I will go back tomorrow.  At least for more water pilates- I need to wait for my new socks before I put on sneaks again...


No comments:

Post a Comment