Monday, October 13, 2014

Happiness is...

Well, in my house, happiness is apparently a crap-ton of work! I laugh because today is a HOME DAY! The days with no school, and when my boys and I are all together. Daddy days DON'T count, obviously. When the boys woke up this morning and realized it was a home day there was great rejoicing. There were pancakes in our jammies, and an actual leisurely shower by mommy (hey, four minutes is totally leisurely in my book!). I BLOW DRIED MY HAIR. It's cool, pick your jaws up off the floor. I only did it because we were meeting my friend Christine for family pictures. Family picture day is important to all mamas, but for me, it's something totally different. It is like a tangible representation that our mama-headed family is real. Obviously, I know we are a family, that's not news. However, it takes on a tremendous amount of meaning when you aren't "normal". It's a way for me to remind myself, and family and friends, that we ARE a family. We're a-ok without a traditional set up. Hell, we're way freaking better. We're HAPPY. And today, happiness truly is a trashed house. It was rather orderly, but then we went to a playdate, and the fabric store, and the market. Now, it's several wooden cars drying on the kitchen table; a few smears of paint on the family room wall; apple peels on the counter; tiny cars scattered throughout five rooms; random stalks of celery on the kitchen floor from my "helpers". In fact, as I just observed, it's a living room couch in the MIDDLE of the living room (silly wood floors mean that furniture just gouges slides around). These things may make my eye twitch uncontrollably, but really, it's ok. We have chicken noodle soup simmering; apple crisp in the oven; a craft mommy and nuggets did together (the cars!); and a pretty awesome fort made out of the living room curtains, the couch, and a few chairs (alright, that part is making me nuts). It's pure happiness. The sounds of laughter and a little fighting, if I'm honest.

It's a warm, happy home, mess be damned. Oh., and apparently it's clothing optional. Sigh. So well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment