Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cookie Half-Assed Tutorial

OK, so this isn't actually a tutorial, because I don't have any pictures. However, making super fancy decorated cookies isn't as hard as it looks. Instead of emailing twelve different people what they need, I figured I would just write a blog post. I am trying to figure out the best way to put together a tutorial, too.

You need certain things to make beautiful iced cookies. Step one- buy all this crap. The links are all Amazon, but you can get the stuff elsewhere. I snagged some Kuhn Rikon at Sur La Table super clearance, and they sometimes have them at Marshalls/TJ's etc. Meringue powder is carried in Walmart, A.C. Moore, Michael's, and most grocery stores have it- perhaps under the name powdered egg whites. Icing color you can get again at Walmart, craft stores, etc. I like just getting a full set so I am ready for anything- I will occasionally snag extra red from Wilton, in the little tub. Tub colorant is a PITA though, because it dyes your hands, and you have to use a toothpick to scoop it out. A little goes a long way, UNLESS it's red. Be red-y (hahaha) to use a whole bottle!

Kuhn Rikon Decorating Bottles
Meringue Powder
Icing colorant
Toothpicks
Confectioner's Sugar
Cookies- I use sugar cookie cutouts, and yes, most of the time I use a mix. I collect cookie cutters so I have tons, but if I see a cute one I grab it. I order specific shapes for special events- I just ordered a daisy and wedding dress to use for a shower I am throwing later this spring.

See, now that was easy? That's what you need...recipe below for the royal icing (which I make by the pound and just keep in the fridge)

Royal Icing

Really, you need a stand mixer. If you don't have one, borrow one, or you can use a hand mixer. Add the whipping attachment.

Heaping tablespoon of meringue powder
Confectioner's sugar (I start with half a bag)
1 cup water (which you add VERY slowly. A little goes a long way!!!!)
1 tsp extract- I usually use almond or vanilla, but mint sometimes, and lemon in the summer.

Put sugar and meringue powder in bowl. Add extract and about 1/4 cup water. Turn on mixer and gradually add water until fully mixed. Frosting should be glossy white and fairly stiff. If it is too powdery, add a smidge of water at a time. If it's too watery, add more sugar. When it's fully beaten, you can lift the whippy thingy and peaks will remain but aren't super stiff. That's the perfect consistency. When you add color, that's when you can thin with a touch of water for flooding, or add a touch of sugar for piping names or small details.

Got it? That's all you do, for the first step. Yeah, go bake your cookies too. It's fine if the dough is a touch thicker, and for the love of Adam DON'T OVERBAKE. My cookies bake for 6 1/2 minutes at 350- but that's my thickness, my cookie recipe. They should be lightly golden brown on the bottom but not browned on the top! If you are using a mix, add about a tablespoon of flour to the mix so that it is stiffer. Never try to roll out room temperature dough either- pop that stuff in the fridge for at least an hour to firm up.

I promise I'll cover the decorating itself in the next post- I need to get some pictures because it's not super easy to explain...

No comments:

Post a Comment