Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Baby, it's cold outside...

So I took my boys to see Frozen the other day- they loved it, and so did I- but I wonder whether or not Disney had some magic eight ball to foretell this damn polar vortex freezing misery??? Mr. M said to me after the movie "If love makes the world warm again why are we so cold? I love you and brudder (brother)". Sorry, bucko. Doesn't work that way, at least not in MA. That's ok, I could be like some of my fellow teachers who are bunkered down in their schools in Georgia with hundreds of their students because the busses couldn't get them home- raiding the cafeteria to make meals for the kids and all of the stranded staff. Poor South. It sucks.

That said, I whipped up some yummy honey garlic chicken with lo mein tonight and it was just perfect.  Easy too! I used a premade sweet and sour sauce for the chicken, and added some stuff.

Chinese Style Chicken

3 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
cornstarch
1/4 cup oil
1 bottle sweet and sour or other Asian saute sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup vinegar- rice wine or white

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Toss oil in saute pan over medium heat, and allow to heat up. Brown chicken in pan then put in 9 x 13 baking dish. Stir in sauce, garlic powder, honey, soy sauce, and vinegar. Make sure pieces are coated. Bake for 1 hour, tossing chicken every 15 minutes. Eat. Super delicious- not fried- but really, really tender.

Eat, then repeat. My kids even eat this. Understatement- they SCARF it. If you don't have a bottle of sweet and sour sauce, use ketchup with the rest of the ingredients (about 3/4 cups) and up the honey to 1/3 cup. You can also toss some sesame seeds over the finished product.

Eat warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment