Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Teachers...

Yeah, it's national teacher appreciation week. Teachers rock. Enough said. I am a teacher, but I teach high school. By the time I get kids, the ship has partially sailed. They have skills, they know things, they can read, and write, and add up sums. Am I important? Of course. Working in the field of special education, I know that I make a difference each and every day. However, in my eyes, I'm a failure. As a mother, the most important teaching I SHOULD be doing is with my own boys. And I can't, because I go to work every day to work with other kids. I am fine with that at this point, because I love what I do. My kids get to benefit in many way- including having teachers of their own at a very young age. Criticize if you'd like, but M has been in daycare since he was six weeks old, and J since eight weeks of age. You know what? That's a-OK with me- because they are SMART. J can sign his wants and needs, and one of his first spoken words was one of his teachers' names. M can tell me about feelings, dinosaurs, the weather, and other such interesting tidbits- because of his dedicated, creative, loving teachers. It's not all sunshine and rainbows- M has his bad days, where he trashes the sand castles his friends have lovingly created; or moments where he sasses his teachers when faced with a lunch box of GASP! FISH STICKS (in our house we call them chicken sticks- whatever gets them in his belly!!!) but he also has a tremendous amount of good days, where he learns so much. He's proud of what he accomplishes, and excited to share it with me. J does amazing art and comes home regularly with blue feet because he's been painting. That's what I want my kids to do. I am thrilled at the experience they are getting, and know that EVERY teacher loves my boys. It feels wonderful to know they are so lucky.

My kids are curious. And that's why I love Curious Kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment