Wednesday, April 18, 2012

That Mom

So today I had a revelation- nothing terribly exciting- I didn't redesign the cloth diaper to wash itself, or anything truly helpful. I was just driving to the park and thinking about this long a-s-s week, and realized that all of a sudden I'm THAT MOM. You know, the one that other people look at with pity? No, just kidding. The mom that is always toting around a diaper bag, is adept at picking up a toddler who just dove headfirst off the play structure platform while the baby is in the carrier, and doesn't bat an eye when projectile vomit makes an entrance. The one that even schools another mom who is allowing her ten year old to run through the playground full of toddlers with a sharpened stick (I blame Hunger Games. I would blame Lord of the Flies but no one reads it anymore!) plowing little kids over. Really lady? Get off your phone and note that your child is leaving a wailing trail of small children in his path (expect my kid- he thought it was pretty funny); don't act surprised when I point this out. She got sort of snotty until I asked for her name and address so I knew where to send the medical bills for when my kid gets rushed to Mass Eye and Ear because she can't tell her son to stop. Snarky, yes. For the greater good though. There was a collective sigh of relief when they left. Wait, back to my revelation. I just might have turned into the mom I loved to hate. No, I still don't have healthy homemade snacks for my kid, but I did remember a camera, baby wipes, antiseptic wash for M's constantly skinned knees, and my phone. Which I used to ask another mom to bring a blanket for my shivering infant. I can't remember EVERYTHING. So far this week my toddler has smeared multiple servings of "chock-late" ice cream on his face, visited sea creatures, goats, chickens, and even touched a snake. We've been the park multiple times, celebrated birthdays, taken tubbies, and are still standing. Barely. He's actually asleep, which is good, because tomorrow we do it again- animals, running, lunch, ice cream. We'll load up the generic mom SUV and hit the road again.

That said, how many days are left before daycare reopens?

No comments:

Post a Comment