Monday, February 18, 2019

Ignorance is not bliss...it's just ignorance.

I am an incredibly lucky human being. I live in a beautiful home, in a fantastic town, with a great job, excellent health insurance (don't get me started on dental though!). I have a safe car, I get to travel with my family. Our needs are met, and then some.

I am INCREDIBLY lucky. I know that. As a single mom, I know that I am doubly, triply, blessed. My ex and I actually manage to get along, and put the kids first.

This photo journal article was posted today by a UK publication. Homeless in Cape May is a chronicle of the homeless living in Cape May (County, is what I am assuming). It has rifled quite a few feathers as painting Cape May in a bad light. It's not just Cape May- it's all major cities in the US. It's small towns, smaller cities. While this article highlights one place- the same headline could be about Boston, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadephia. There is a disparity of wealth.

Here's my question- if you're upset about it, what are you personally doing to help? No individual can solve homelessness, housing insecurity, food instability- by themselves. Well, if you're a billionaire maybe you can do more. I don't frankly know any billionaires, so I'm assuming my readers are average humans. I could make a comment about our current government, but others have done a much better job than I.

Bottom line, there is a way for every single human to do something for the betterment of humanity. Whether it's tucking away a $5 gift card or two to the local coffee shop (I live in MA- so that's Dunkin' obviously), or grabbing a few extra pairs of gloves to keep in the car if you find yourself at an intersection with a panhandler. I don't know the story of every person living on the street- and I don't need to. Basic human decency goes a long way. I know that upon learning about the lack of access to feminine hygiene supplies provided to food pantries and shelters, that's my family's focus.

More needs to be done. I get so upset and overwhelmed- and then I check myself. Small things mean a lot.

If everyone who read this did ONE thing for the indigent community where they live- that would add up.

Challenge accepted?

No comments:

Post a Comment