Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Lesson planning...well, sort of.

How ridiculous is it that I am planning my course of action in case of an active shooter in my school? It's 2018. It's crazy. And yet, I am. I should be napping (haha not really) or planning super cool stuff to enrich my curriculum after break. And yet, I'm analyzing my proximity to both exits from the school, and access to the roof.

Because no kid of mine will die on my watch. And yes, I said kid- my students are MY KIDS from 8:15 am to 2:10 pm. I get called mom at least three times a day. While I teach grades 5-8, due to the myriad of disabilities they manage, present as more immature than typical grade age peers. They are smart as all get out, but we hug a lot, reassure a lot, and sometimes, just have to help navigate making Easy Mac. Wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

And yet, in this day and age where kids are legitimately NOT IMPORTANT to elected officials swimming in money from the NRA, I'm planning where we would go if we needed to shelter in place- what we would use if we needed to counteract- and most importantly, what exit I can get them to, to evacuate. I'm glad my state uses ALICE- because I'm not into being a sitting duck.

As a single mom, I have contingency plans for EVERYTHING. If my car breaks down with the kids, if I collapse at work and am unconscious (trust me that is a very long and involved contingency plan- which my boss and secretary have), if a kid starts puking right before I have a big meeting. I cover my bases, because I'm mom. That's my job.

And that translates to my kids at school. I have contingency plans that I will NEVER, EVER, EVER have to use. (RIGHT??? REPEAT AFTER ME- NEVER!) Yet, not outside the realm of possibility. I know that my son's teachers' have the same plans in their head because, yes, we have to think about this.

Isn't that fucking sad? March 14th. March 24th. MARCH. SPEAK. BE HEARD.

Follow the lead of the children- they're not afraid to speak up. Why are you?


No comments:

Post a Comment