Thursday, December 3, 2015

ENOUGH.

ENOUGH. When do we, as a country, finally draw the line and decide to take a stand in the face of violence? When do our legislators finally decide that they can actually show some fortitude and gumption and DO SOMETHING? When are fellow Americans going to start contacting these Senators?  Even the New York Daily News gets it. A Missouri state rep nails it. I am sure that I am one of a million bloggers today thinking about the same thing. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Well, duh. So let's not give more people guns. It seems so logical to me. The fact that when my newsfeed bleeped "Mass Shooting in San Bernardino" I didn't even flinch, hit it home. I am at the point where I expect this, because nothing has been done to prevent it. These headlines have become commonplace. They don't surprise me- they scare me. I read an article today on how to survive a workplace or school shooting, and I found myself taking note. I. TOOK. NOTES. I thought about how I could teach my students to run in a zig zag pattern without scaring them. I tried to figure out what my children, who are six and four, could understand and replicate. The fact that I spent a good ten minutes debating the most therapeutic way to say "if there are victims, lay in their blood and don't move" rocked me to my core. I refuse to have this conversation- as I am very much hopeful that change is around the corner. That love will conquer hate. That common sense will prevail. I won't lie though, I'm scared for what could come next. There WILL be a time when our country, whether Republican or Democrat, will realize that we have to stand together against violence, especially in regards to guns. Yes, a mentally ill person can wreak havoc in many ways- but last time I checked, it's a lot easier to kill with a semi-automatic than a knife. I could like the incidents that lead me to this evening, and these thoughts- but as a child of the 90's, I can just say Columbine. I did some searching and found this article. I don't know what is more frightening- that there have been so many deaths, or that I didn't even know about half of them.

I really thought that there would be a change after Sandy Hook. I was so very optimistic. For naught.


2 comments:

  1. I'm in disbelief about what I am about to type…
    Tell me more about how to talk about this with a high anxiety first grader and preK student?

    (When kids are in the car, I don't even listen to the news anymore because it is so damn scary)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was a good answer. I truly don't know. I don't want to scare them, but at the same time, in these days, a bit of fear might make the difference. For now, I defer to the pedi, and the therapists...

      Delete