Friday, July 24, 2015

Some Super Serious Thoughts on Summer...

And by super serious, I totally mean random things I think about while I retreat to my "other brain space" when my kids are in meltdown mode. Either way, they entertain me, and it's been a while since I have shared with the free world, which doesn't really give a hoot, what's going on in my head.

Summer is freaking amazing. I LOVE IT. I am a complete heliophile and while I have no "guns" to speak of, if the sun's out, my flabby batwing upper arms are out! Even with a crazy thick SPF 30 mineral based sunscreen, I am TAN. So are my kids. Well, aside from just above their thighs through their torso, to just above the elbow (I LOVE SPF RASHGUARDS- even though ours now look a bit like tye dye from popsicles, ketchup, paint, sunblock and the like). Again, honestly earned color. When I put sunblock on us we all look purple I apply it so thickly- some days, when J has his goggles on, he looks like that evil purple minion. It makes me giggle.

Second thing I love? VACATION. And by vacation I mean a trip WITH. MY. FREAKING. AMAZING. NANNY. She's epically awesome and has both the boys on behavior systems and oodles of positive reinforcement schedules. When she's with us, I am actually on vacation too, for some of the time. If I want to have dinner with just my mom, I can. If my bestie joins us, we can go out at night and go to fancy bars in Cape May- drink Pimm's cocktails seaside, and blood orange martinis at hip bars. Yup. It's that awesome. I got to have dinner with both my mom and my dad sans kids, separately. It was wonderful. As I get older, and more busy, those opportunities grow more and more special.

Another awesome aspect of summer? Getting to be totally goofy and spontaneous. Sometimes it works out great- going to a town concert, picnic in tow, with dear friends- craziness ensued with hand stands, a few tackles, and running barefoot in the grass. A wonderful night all around. Other nights, like tonight, total fail. Decided to be all cray-cray and take my kids to a 6:45 pm showing of the hot kid's movie- the movie theater is a mile away, I was like wahoo we are ON THIS! Until I went upstairs to get dressed (not lazy in jammies- still in the swimsuit from the day's festivities) and came down four minutes later to find Mr. M out cold on the couch and J-bird not far behind. So much for that adventure!!!

In all seriousness though, when I try to put the first half of the summer into words, it's hard- because it's been that wonderful. I am enjoying all of it. From Mr. M swimming on his own for the first time, to J dancing in the grass, to picking crabs, to seeing a dolphin crest, to lazy moments at a winery, to porch time at the Virginia with my mama- it's all been amazing. I can't wait for what the rest of the summer brings, and a little piece of me is mourning the impending fall. I can't even go there yet. One thing I am surprised that I enjoy? A separation from social media- my every move isn't posted; although I still share pics of our adventures, because it is a great way to connect with family near and far- but I don't care how many likes, or retweets, or what not occur. If someone needs me, they call me. And for once, I actually answer, because I have time to connect. It's splendiferous.

For now, I want splashing, dirt, sand, and sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment